Monday, April 22, 2013

Day 19

I remember The Day of Cleansing.

I had neighbors.
They were the kindest neighbors.
But the town rose up
If only because they were African American.

I had friends.
They were true friends.
But the town stoned them all
If only because they were amputees.

I tried to tell them to stop.
I tried to yell out, "Please, no!"
"For the love of God, stop!"
But there was a chain around my neck.

It started as me being unable to call out.
Then I feared just being outside
Just being... being in the wide world.
I feared calling out the actions of my peers.

Then I felt too afraid to do anything
I went upstairs
And I slept
Because of the chain that bound me.

I am bound to it and there is no solace for me
But for God's sake
Please help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment